Thursday, January 9, 2014

Fake I.T. Till You Make It







In my years in IT, I had to learn on the fly almost daily, and in many cases research something for months (as in the case of the iOS and Android apps I developed).  I love to learn about almost anything, from biology to botany, to BIOS, to the Big Bang, to brain science.  In my previous position, I was able to do research on a project to some degree, and perhaps some planning before beginning a project of any value.
However, at my new post with Dorchester County, there is a higher volume of work, so I have had to learn to juggle many things at once; keep many projects running in tandem; know where the status lies with various activities, and ensure they are all completed properly and efficiently - much of it is for the information systems that are used in the process of saving human lives.  No pressure.

When I walked in the door, there were a lot of things I was completely unfamiliar with.  Although I had built domains, worked under one, and knew the standard objects through GPO's, AD, OU's, permissions and securities, etc., as well as systems admin, and the rest, I had never had to administer such a complex set of subnets, different types of units (OU's), so many policies, or odd configurations that made up these several agencies' users and groups - and my mind blanked immediately.

Now I must clarify here that as part of my hiring process (which I often refer to as "The Grilling" because of its intense nature), I was made to answer questions related first to IT, but then on to topics which would gauge my ability to think critically, act rationally, efficiently, multi-task, practice dynamic and deductive reasoning, show high social and technical cognition -  and the skill I sensed they were looking for the most.  The ability to learn.

Many of the questions and topics were mind games and tricks, and one needed to employ a noticeable demonstration of the skill of learning quickly.  At one point the IT Director started a conversation about how certain technologies work, and then another attendee to The Grilling interrupted with yet another question, quickly jumping topic and changing the subjects, while the to-be-boss sat with his answer-sheet un-turned.  Everyone had turned pages, save him.  He was waiting.  I sensed this, and in the short silence and slight reorientation by my interrogators I answered the prior question before his obvious satisfaction.  I won.

I learned much later just how many applicants didn't cut it during that part of The Grilling.  Having all the certifications and a degree in the IT field does nothing if you have not the wherewithal to perform the tasks.  Especially for a 911 center.



wat



After my first week, the boss dumped about 15 projects on me via email, that were left undone, or not started - and I panicked, brain emptied.  I found myself looking into things and re-learning topics I knew intimately just months prior.

It took the first two months just to get my bearings right to some degree.  The county is all linked together, with multiple subnets (my main domain controller alone shows like 20) connecting tons of remote locations and radio towers full of equipment, much of which is my responsibility.  I am now a little more comfortable with the network, many of the several hundred people staffed at this building, and the equipment (I think) I am responsible for.

As each day passes, and more accomplished, I am regarding in an exceedingly brighter light by my peers for my eager work ethic and comprehensive knowledge.  It can be rewarding, but at a high cost at times; and I am still determining whether I like the pace, or the vast ocean of projects, menial tasks, pressure, and sheer work load, will simply overtake my internal buoyancy, and eventually the pace, too fast even for myself, pushes me under.

For now, I am still beloved by most, and the practical educational benefits make today worth swiping my badge, and opening the secured exterior doors which lead to my IT office, yet one more day.  If I can stay aloft and not bugger it up too bad, they will keep me, too.  After all, if one knows well how to learn, one can make it given the right attitude and tools.  Or, just 'fake it till you make it,' as they say.








No comments:

Post a Comment